Thursday, February 27, 2014

[PSA] Public Service Announcement: Botox For Migraines - Never Again

February 6, 2014 I was scheduled for my next appointment for my Botox injections for my migraines. I was ready for this appointment! The last time I had the injections I was so disappointed in the outcome that I swore I wouldn't do it again, but since my new cocktail of migraine meds have been working better for me, I thought we should try the Botox again.

I was feeling confident this was going to work. I was almost feeling cocky. My Lupus felt like it was at bay today as well. Was I ignoring symptoms all together? I wasn't sure. It could have been the cocky attitude since I was so sure of everything. Maybe it was that I knew what to expect this time too.

My neurologist came in and she reminded me the temple and forehead injections are the worst. Sure enough, just like bee stings. Gosh, they hurt! Now, came the top of my head, and then the side of my head. Now were around the side of my head, and now the back and the nape of my neck. Man! That  smarts!

Now, she is injecting on the right shoulder. Really I ask her? I couldn't even feel that one. Now, I feel her squeeze my left shoulder. Just squeezing my left shoulder hurts. Holy cow. When the injection goes in my left shoulder I feel tears welting in my eyes. WOW!

I'm glad we're done.

My doctor gave me an ice bag and I stayed in the procedure room with the ice bag on my head and shoulder for a few minutes.

On my drive home I feel fine.

For the next 6 days I'm fine. The following Wednesday I wake up and my left eye isn't moving. Some of my left face is paralyzed too. It makes me wonder if I've had a TIA (transient Ischemia Attack) during the night?

I'm a bit confused, but I'm wondering if that's Lupus fog. I'm also tired, so I don't know what to think of all of this. My speech is a bit slurred too.

Around 11:30am, my neurologist is notified of the events and I'm ordered to call 911 in the event I did have a TIA. Here we go again.

The ER loves me...After being tested, poked, and prodded; there wasn't a stroke. For some reason, the attending thought you could identify a TIA on a CT. I don't have a medical degree but I wasn't going to tell him he's wasn't time and money looking for a TIA on a CT. Hello Sherlock. I'm sent home being told I have low kidney function. Thank you Lupus. Just another daily challenge I can face head on!

Head on over to 4 days later on Sunday. I woke up in the worst pain ever. My neck and left shoulder were in the worst shape ever. I didn't know what to think of it, so I really didn't. That night though I tried to lean forward and put my laptop on the coffee table and I was in tears. By Wednesday I was back in the ER because the pain was too much to take.

This time the doctor that attended to me was the type of doctor that doesn't listen too well. When he heard me say Botox for migraines, he heard "Botox" only. When he examined me he squeezed my shoulders and I just about jumped out of my skin. He asked "why would you get Botox injections in your shoulders for cosmetic purposes?" Was i in good hands? I doubt it, but at least he was able to give me IV pain meds and that's all I cared about at that moment. With the amount of pain I was in, I can honestly say I understand why and how people can accidentally take too much pain medicine to get relief.

After the tests came back, I was diagnosed with a Cervical Sprain, Musculoskeletal Pain/Bruising/Pinched Nerves!

It's been 3 weeks since my initial Botox Injections and I am still in terrible pain. I'm still taking the prescribed Oxycodone and Muscle relaxer prescribed by the ER. I have difficulty moving my head/neck, raising my arms above my head and straight forward. I still get tingly in my extremities; including my feet and legs.

These side affect are listed in the Boxtox injection for migraines "side affect" side bar. I however, seem to be the type of person that will get the side affects listed on medications.

This is just a [PSA] Public Service Announcement~

No comments:

Post a Comment