Thursday, February 27, 2014

Winter is a Dangerous Time of Year

This year it has been a bad winter for those of us living in the mid-west. Polar Vortex and "ChiBeria" have been used more than I can recount. We have had more subzero days and even more subzero wind chills this winter. I don't think I have ever wanted to move south more than I have than this winter!

My oldest daughter gave birth to her 3rd son this past January. I was thrilled to become a grandmother again!

On Saturday, January 18th, the day after my grandsons birth, my boys and I went to "Carter's", to purchase some cute clothes. It had been snowing that day and it wasn't letting up at all. The sidewalks hadn't been shoveled either. Luckily we all we dressed properly for the day out.

I found what I was looking for and made my purchase. I gathered my boys and made sure they put their winter gear back on. They took their snow items off while I was shopping so they could play at the Lego table while I shopped.

Once I got to the door to head out, I told the boys, "Hold hands". We walked outside the door and 3 feet outside the door my right foot hit a lip in the sidewalk and I went flying face forward and I took the boys with me. We all landed on the sidewalk and slide towards the road. Luckily the boys weren't hurt.

We got up and tried to brush ourselves off. I grabbed the boys by their hands and walked back into the store to tell the clerks what happened. I then realized my leg hurt!

I had to sit down and lift my pant leg up. My son said, "mommy, it looks like your knee is going to have a baby!"

Talk about causing a commotion. The manager came over and she asked if I was OK. By that point I really wasn't. My patella was inflamed and looked like it was "going to have a baby". The mall security was called to make a formal report. Needless to say the people who were suppose to shovel collapsed the sign about the uneven sidewalk.

I couldn't walk on my knee by the time the store manager took her report and kindly called an ambulance. My boys got a ride in the ambulance and my oldest son was thrilled to ride up front and pull the siren.

To have lupus and fall on your knee is not a mart thing. Your body doesn't heal fast. Ligament sprains and strains tend to take weeks to months to heal rather than healing faster than they would on a person with a healthy immune system.

It's been 6 weeks since my fall and I'm having difficulty still walking.

It's so important that you watch where you're walking and only walk where it's clear and shoveled. This time of year is so dangerous when there's ice and hidden dangers under snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment