Saturday, March 28, 2015

Where Do We Go From Here?

I've been sick for almost 2 weeks now and the other night was yet another night where I just couldn't fall asleep. So my trust worthy remote and I were flipping through the channels and I came across what appeared to be a totally depressing TV program. It was about cancer patients and their journey. I was sick with yet another infection, my 9th since the MRSA body invasion, and this infection threw me into a terrible flare. So, I was thinking that this wasn't the TV program I really needed or wanted to watch. I found myself coming back to this channel. The show seemed fascinating yet depressing at the same token. I continued to flip channels, but ended up back at that show.

 Tina Staley was narrating the show and she is a LCSW, Director of Pathfinders at Duke University Medical Center. She did this intense and thorough study with quite a few cancer patients which included therapy sessions, meditation, support sessions, putting yourself in a happy place mentally, spiritual connecting with the patient(s), getting to know the patients on a personal level, making the patient(s) feel more than a medical record, giving them unbiased guidance, etc...

The one case that really touched my heart was an elderly woman who had no veins left. Tina Staley helped this patient mentally go to another place while the nurse was able to try and put the IV in to administer the chemo. It took a couple of times but the patient was more at ease.

"Pathfinders are integral members of the patient’s cancer treatment team, joining with the oncologist, nurses, and others to ensure that every patient receives the highest quality medical and nursing care, and that his or her emotional, family, and spiritual needs are met. At the conclusion of their cancer treatment, patients are informed and skilled to cope with future challenges. Their families are prepared to support their loved one’s personal recovery. Both patient and family are ready for survivorship."

*On balance, simply replace Cancer with Lupus. We're really all the same.


You're probably wondering why I'm writing about Cancer?! As I'm watching the TV show, I got to thinking about how much alike Cancer and Lupus are and how different they are.

A Few Likes:

  • Chronic Pain
  • Chronically Ill
  • Numerous amounts of Medicine
  • Both take Chemo

A Few Differences:
  1. You can't cut Lupus Out
  2. Lupus suffers from being in the dark (not educated & underfunded) 
  3. Lupus is forever


At the end of the day we all face challenges and we all want to be survivors. Whether it's cancer or whether it's Lupus, MS, RA, or another disease; in the end we all want to live.


To learn more about Pathfinders please visit: http://www.cancer.duke.edu/dccrp/modules/research3/index.php?id=2%3E



No comments:

Post a Comment