Wednesday, July 15, 2015

How Was You Day?

When you think of "The Day in the life of a Lupie" you generally think of the medication, joint pain, taking naps, aches, pains, and complaining a lot. Well, that does happen but there's a lot more to a day of a person with lupus.

A lot of us who have lupus have families and that means we have children. Whether we have little kids or big kids, that comes with responsibilities that we must full fill throughout the day.

Now that it's summer, I try to keep my kids days/weeks/months full of activities so they're less likely to be connected to the Internet or PS3 or whatever else that's electronic. After I signed the kids up for swim lessons,the book buddy program at the library, karate, walk/jog through the karate academy, a social therapy program and a church camp; my husband looked at me like I had a third eye. He then asked, "Aren't you putting too much on the calendar?" I knew I was but I had already heard, "I'm bored" too many times since school got out. Also, I didn't give it a thought that I would be the only one lugging the kids back and forth. I guess I kind of thought I'd be cloned somewhere along the line and my clone would be the healthy one taking the kids to all of the activities while the Lupus one would be home resting. Well, that didn't happen!

I've always been the one to put on a brave smile in public and no matter what I can be positive and optimistic. There's always an upside to things. But, when you have to drag your kid out of the house kicking and screaming because he doesn't want to go to swim class that kind of puts a damper on your morning. I try to convince an already anxious child that everything is going to be OK and that he will not drown in swim class. There's no way that his instructor will allow him to sink to the 3ft 6in bottom of the pool. Shortly after we get to the pool his anxiety is soon gone, while I feel like I need a Chocolate Martini at 10:00 am!

By the time we get home, it's 11:15. My mind is racing back to this morning. Gosh, it was a crazy morning. I forgot to eat breakfast. I don't even have time to make breakfast or lunch for myself. I have to get lunch for my oldest because we have to leave for our walk/jog soon. My youngest insists on getting his pajamas on. He's my kid alright! He apparently has no intention of going outside today. My oldest barely eats lunch and my youngest doesn't eat at all. I wish I could force feed my kids. It drives me batty that they don't eat. But, what can I say when I don't sit to eat or take time for myself? I did grab a banana on the run and a granola bar. At least it was healthy; right?

This is the beginning of the 2nd week of doing the walk/jog with the karate academy. I say walk/jog because I walk while my oldest son jogs with the master and a few others. This has been wonderful for both of us. Not only for the cardio/exercise but because it's great motivation and accountability. Master has it set up for us to do it twice a week until school starts which equivalent to 26.2 miles. My 8 year old has done a phenomenal job and I'm so proud of him.

I do have to say that cardio and exercise has helped with my fatigue. I still have pain but I don't think about it while I'm busy. Once I stop the activity is when I notice any pain. I try to stay busy throughout the day for that very reason.

Once we returned home, it was chaos as normal and housework as usual. Somethings never change~

No comments:

Post a Comment