Sunday, July 19, 2015

Women With Lupus and Special Needs Children

 As my family and I were walking inside to the movie theater, my oldest son; out of the blue, asked if I'm eating healthy because of my lupus. I replied yes. He went on to say, "Do you eat healthy so your cells get healthy?" I told him it's not that easy because my healthy cells are always being attacked by each other.

My son will say random things at the most random times. His mind works differently than most children's. Actually it works differently than anyone's. He sees things from a different perspective. He's highly intelligent, can figure things out quickly and gets bored easily when not challenged properly.

Saturday, late morning, my son was having a good "time of the day". See, our oldest son has ADHD. Part of his ADHD includes OCD, not only the tidy part of OCD but the compulsive part along with Impulsive Control Disorder and has problems with social behavior. He's extremely intelligent, kind, loving, caring, enthusiastic &, energetic. But his mood can change at a drop of a hat when he needs his medication.

When a woman is pregnant she's offered a slew of recommended tests that can show birth defects her baby might carry. I recall when I was carrying my second daughter and I opted to have the triple test. The result showed she was going to have Downs Sydrome. My husband, at the time, and I had to go through genetic counseling, I had to get an amniocenteses and it was terrifying. By the time we got the results back  I was 5 months pregnant and it came back showing she was healthy. I never opted for another round of tests again because it was nerve racking. I figured if the genetic tests were fine once, they weren't going to change.


There's no test offered to pregnant women showing her baby may be born with ADHD or Autism yet there's a high rate of women who have lupus with special needs children. Is there a correlation? I think so. In our support group there's 72 members and out of those members I can count 6 members who either have children with ADHD or Autism/Asperger's. There could be more. That's only the 6 mother's/children I'm aware of.

Autism has gone up in the past few years and many believe it's due to Monsanto while others have different beliefs. There's not enough research on ADHD to understand the full cause and affect.

Just knowing there are 6 out of 72 mother's who have special needs children, I believe this is grounds to do more research.

Between lupus being a cruel mysterious disease and having a child with special needs, women with lupus need a cure and more research on both fronts. We have been silent long enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment